The aim of National Service Scheme is to give an extension dimension to the higher education system and orient the student youth to community service while they are studying in educational institution. The reason for the formulation of this objective is the general realization that the college and +2 level students have a tendency to get alienated from the village/slum masses which constitute the majority of the population of the country. The educated youth who are expected to take the reins of administration in future are found to be unaware of the problems of the village/slum community and in certain cases are indifferent towards their needs and problems. Therefore it is necessary to arouse the Social conscience of the students, and to provide them an opportunity to work with the people in the villages and slums. It is felt that their interaction with the common villagers and slum dwellers will expose them to the realities of life and bring about a change in their social perception.
The broad objectives of NSS are to:
Understand the community in which they work
- understand themselves in relation to their community;
- identify the needs and problems of the community and involve !hem in problem solving process;
- develop among themselves a sense of social and civic responsibility;
- utilize their knowledge in finding practical solution to individual and community problems;
- develop competence required for group living and sharing of responsibilities;
- gain skills in mobilizing community participation;
- acquire leadership qualities and democratic attitude;
- develop capacity to meet emergencies and natural disasters and
- Practice national integration and social
The motto or watchword of the National Service Scheme is : ‘NOT ME BUT YOU’. This reflects the essence of democratic living and upholds the need for selfless service and appreciation of the other person’s point of view and also to show consideration for fellow human beings. It underlines that the welfare of an individual is ultimately dependent on the welfare of society on the whole. Therefore, it should be the aim of the NSS to demonstrate this motto in its day- to-day programme.
Aims of NSS Programmes /Activities
The operational aim of NSS is to integrate the three basic components of the programme. NSS programme should provide a variety of learning experiences which must develop a sense of participation, service and achievement among the volunteers. The activities should aim at the following
- Making education more relevant to the present situation co meet the felt needs of the community and supplement the education of the university/college students by bringing them face to face with the rural situation;
- Providing opportunities to the students to play their role in planning and executing development projects which would not only help in creating durable community assets in rural areas and urban slums but also results in the improvement of quality of life of the economically and socially weaker sections of the community;
- Encouraging students and non-students to work together along with the adults in rural areas
- Developing qualities of leadership by discovering the latent potential among the Campers, both students as well as local youth (Rural and Urban), with a view to involve them more intimately in the development programme and also to ensure proper maintenance of the assets created during the camps.
- Emphasizing dignity of labour and self- help and the need for combining physical work with intellectual pursuits
- Encouraging youth to participate enthusiastically in the process of national develop1nent and promote national integration, through corporate living and cooperative action.
While undertaking these activities, each NSS unit should envisage its programmes/activities aimed at instilling discipline. Building character, promotion of physical fitness and development of culture.